Moving homes is an exciting time, especially when you are moving to your new dream home! The excitement of a new house often gets dampened when you realise how much stuff you have to move.
To keep the idea of your move exciting and motivating, we’ve come up with a few ideas to make your move practical and easy.
- Before you start packing, do a good clean out. Get rid of things that you don’t need and don’t want to move to your new home.
- Start collecting boxes early, fold them up and put them away for when you need them. Ensure that you have enough boxes and packing tape.
- If you can pack up a room in your home that is not often used first. This will free up space for you to pack boxes as you fill them.
- Pack items that you don’t use often first. This will also allow you to free up space in other rooms.
- If you want to save costs on bubble wrap, pack your glassware between clothing and blankets. Just make sure that you know what is in the clothing and blankets when unpacking. You don’t want to shake out a blanket and see glassware being flung all over.
- It’s a good idea to get marking pens and labels to mark your boxes. This way you can find items that you may need in a box, quickly.
- Don’t unpack your drawers. Just pull them out and cover them with plastic. This will save you time and you don’t need to unpack the drawers and re-pack them again once you have moved.
- Make sure that you have ample cleaning supplies. Leave your old home as clean as you would like to find your new home.
- As your boxes and furniture arrive at your new home, have them put in the room that they belong. This will save you time when it comes to unpacking.
- Try to have everything unpacked and put in its place as soon as possible. The same day if you can. You will be thankful the next day that you did this.
- Arrange a babysitter for smaller children that won’t be of use during the move. This may sound nasty, but having the kids out the way while moving will save you a lot of time.
Another big pain when it comes to moving is the transport of your goods. Furniture removal companies tend to be on the expensive side and driving a small bakkie up and down is simply not practical. Consider moving truck rental from Spartan Truck Hire. A moving truck will get your move done in one load saving you time and money.
Good luck with your move!